English is the most popular language in the world with over 1 billion active speakers. Because of this millions of people from around the world are looking to learn it.
If you are capable of teaching English and have a good grasp of basic grammar then you can make money doing it.
In the past few years, teaching English online with Skype and other software has become a popular and high-demand job all over the world. There are tons of companies out there that would rather hire remote teachers and spare themselves the hassle of travel and moving coordination.
While most English-teaching companies require their teachers to have a degree, there are still enough companies out there for which being a native speaker, and having some teaching experience are more than enough to meet the basic requirements.
So a lack of a degree wouldn’t stop you from applying for teaching English via the internet. As long as you meet the company’s qualifications to teach English online, you are already an eligible candidate for the position.
What are the qualifications to teach English online?
There are certain qualifications that are preferred within the English teaching world, and being in compliance with them can significantly improve your chances of being hired.
Requirements to teach English online
- Being a native or fluent English speaker: Though it isn’t an avid neccessity, being from a native English speaking country can increase your chances of being hired. It’s also perfectly fine if you aren’t from such a country but still speak-write fluent english
- TEFL certification: While a degree isn’t necessary to earn money teaching English online, most hiring companies do expect and require a TEFL certification. There are a LOT of full online TEFL courses that you can take and get certified in no time from home!
- A few years of experience. A few years of teaching experience will help you get your foot through the door. Teaching experience can be considered anything from real teaching, to coaching or mentoring children and adults in the English language.
- All the right hardware. Before you start applying for a teaching English via the internet job, make sure that you have the necessary equipment to make this possible. While some companies will give you the material for your lessons, they will not give you the equipment.
8 online English teaching jobs, no degree required
SayABC not only has some of the best online rates for teaching English via the internet, but it also amazingly allows you to make your own schedule of work so you can make it fit your lifestyle. You may sometimes have to teach late at night (due to the time difference), but we’re sure you can find a way to make it work! Plus, you can work from anywhere with a good internet connection.
- Requirements: You don’t need to be a native English speaker, but you need native-level skills. Although they require a degree, the company believes in giving anyone a chance and training the future generation of teachers, so they will accept applications of non-holders as well. You will need a TEFL certification and some teaching experience to make up for the lack of degree.
- Average earnings: ~$20 per class
Palfish is an app-based platform for teaching English via the internet to people all over the world of all ages. As the company itself puts it, “Palfish is like the eBay for English classes”. With Palfish you can teach from wherever you want, as long as you have a good WiFi connection, and your students can also take the class from wherever they want.
- Requirements: You do not need a degree, certification, nor working experience to work at Palfish, but you do need to be fluent in English. Just send a video with your application, and if you’re enthusiastic, friendly, and hard working, you are guaranteed a spot on the Palfish team.
- Average earnings: ~$10-18 per class
3. Amazing Talker
Amazing Talker hires teachers for all languages (not only English) and it does not require a degree. Based on your application and the student’s learning requirements, you are matched with students, for whom you have to give a 25-minute trial class. Private classes last 50 minutes and you can set your own rates.
- Requirements: A degree is not required, but you need to be fluent in English and have at least a TEFL certification. Extra teaching experience will also set you apart from other candidates.
- Average earnings: ~$25 per class
4. Skima Talk
Anyone can register with Skima Talk and become a teacher; however, after a screening of teachers’ qualifications and based on your popularity within the student community, not everyone gets to stay. That being said, Skima Talk puts a lot of emphasis on their customers’ satisfaction, and expects their teachers to turn the lessons into “life-changing experiences”.
- Requirements: To become a teacher at Skima Talk, you have to be a native English speaker with dialects from the U.S., New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, or Great Britain, and be at least 18 years of age. A degree is not required, nor is a TEFL certification or previous teaching experience—but it is preferred.
- Average earnings: Set your own price and receive 80% per class
Acadsoc is an international online ESL, or an online English tutor club, that aspires to become the largest online ESL company for Chinese learners. The company offers full-time, as well as part-time positions, so you can work whenever the time allows you. Set up your office at home and start preparing assessments for one-on-one classes.
- Requirements: To be eligible for a job with Acadsoc, you need to be a fluent English speaker, know the basic principles of teaching ESL courses, have a TEFL certification, and be willing to take up improvement trainings.
- Average earnings: ~$10 per class
6. Magic Ears
Magic Ears is a great innovative platform for ESL teachers that want to teach English to Chinese children of ages 4-12 in a fun and effective way. With flexible hours, a 1-on-4 (teacher-student) class format to ensure that each student interact
- Pros: LOTS of Bonuses! Arrive to your class 3-10 minutes early and receive a bonus. Also, after 60+ hours of teaching, you receive another bonus!
- Cons: The hiring process can be a bit long and overwhelming and the pay rate is determined by your credentials.
- Average pay per hour: $22+
7. Qkids Teacher
Teach English online to Chinese students with ages ranging from 4 to 12, in a fun and dynamic way, through animated and engaging stories with Qkids! Teach on an interactive gaming platform with original characters, and fun props to make a 30 minutes class the best class for your students. You can have up to 4 students per lesson.
- Pros: Very fun and unique way of using games as a teaching English system to students.
- Cons: Currently the company only hires teachers from U.S and Canada and the schedule is set weekly.
- Average pay per hour: $18+
Check out these companies and pick the one that you think might fit with your goals and values. If your time allows it, you might be able to sign up with two companies. Just make sure that this won’t hinder your performance and that the companies allow it in their policies.
If you want more job opportunities like this read: